Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Day in the Life of a Porteño


I have run out of money. So, I have decided to live frugally, stay in the city, and act like a Porteño (the word for a person that lives in Ciudad Autonoma, Buenos Aires). I started off my Friday with a stroll down my street to the lake in Bajo Belgrano, where I live. I had steak for lunch at a restaurant. unfortunately, it wasn´t that good, and the waitress refused to speak to me in Spanish, and then she corrected me on etiquette. I about flipped. However, after that incident, I caught the 130 bus to Palermo. I got off with my friend Isabel, and we walked to the Japanes Gardens. We payed the entrance, and then walked throughout the gardens talking about philosophy and the Rodin ¨The Thinker¨ sculptures. After we had seen the Sakura tree and all of the ornate little pongs and bridges, we headed out to the Rose Gardens in Palermo where the majority of porteños spend their weekends. We bought cookies at a roadside stand and then we found a shady spot on the grass. I wipped out my maté mug and bombilla and the yerba to go with it. I then busted out my thermos full of steaming hot water and sugar packets to take away the bitterness of the yerba. We drank maté, ate cookies, and I tried to learn Russian from Isabel for hours! Then, we toured a small museum of modern art located just outside of the garden before trekking back home! We ate dinner at home and then met up at the large movie theatre and saw a newly released argentine film. Afterwards, we headed to one of our favorite snazzy local bars, Salvame Maria, and split a bottle of white wine. I called a cab, and headed home around two, just when the true porteños were headed out! Other than that small detail, we acted like true porteños. This morning, I even went for a run by the lake. It was a very short run of about two miles (Isabel ran 13), but I guess it´s a start to living healthy and looking your best in BsAs. I think the majority of my travels are over for now. My bank account has finally caught my eye! But, I´m sure that I will still have some amazing adventures while getting to know this wonderful city!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Chelsea! I just happen to be reading your blog and it sounds like you having an amazing time. It's funny how the money in your bank account is slowly diminishing. That reminds me of the time when I did a quest and I did all kinds of fun stuff then realized I might need to cut down. So, I totally feel your pain. But I hope you'll continue to have a good time while your over there. Be safe!