Saturday, April 9, 2011

A week of visiting Danish Museums and Castles

Hej,

It’s really been a while since I wrote my last blog and I apologize for that, I had a lot of things going on here in Copenhagen. Since, this was the week before Spring break, every professor gave us a lot of tests, quizzes and papers to write. The good news is that I am done with all that, and there are no more classes for me (at least for a while now). I am already on my spring break. Unlike all other DIS students, I am not leaving on the weekend, I have decided to stay in Copenhagen for the weekend and then catch a flight to London on Tuesday.

Today is bright and sunny in Copenhagen, sky is clear and I can already see all the people getting out of their houses and heading towards the parks. The city becomes very lively on sunny days like this; nobody wants to miss the opportunity to get the sun. Specially, after all those windy days that we had this past week, I am looking forward to spending two nice days in the parks and taking care of my things before I leave. Wind is a big problem here (for me, not for Danish because they produce 25% of their energy from the wind). Wind is strong and powerful and has knocked me over quiet sometimes, it literally pushes you over and it gets extremely hard to walk.

I have decided to go shopping with two of my Danish friends today. We would be heading towards Danish shopping mall and then probably going to Toj & Sko (a clothing store). There are a lot of H&M’s here, you would at least see three or four on every street, it is really hard to avoid them. They are a little expensive compared to the other stores. It is a lot cheaper to shop in Germany or Sweden (neighboring countries) than Denmark. Even though Danish currency is kroner and other EU countries use Euros, it is still cheaper to go shop at other places.

I am also going to get a haircut today, I feel like I need it, its been a long time since I had one or maybe I am just tired of wind ruining my hair all the time.

So, in the past week, I had a friend visiting me. She is studying abroad in Scotland. It was really fun to have her come, there were lot of things that we did together that I might not have done by myself. She really made me dig deep in Copenhagen, and find places that maybe were not that touristy. We went to a lot of museums, including

Guinness world of Records museum: It had pictures and statues of a lot of people who made it to the Guinness World Record book, Including world tallest man, woman with the smallest waist and a lot others.

Myesterious museum: We took a self-tour of the place, and I screamed when I first got in, there is a lot of scary stuff but it was fun. It is dark in there, there are skeletons, ghosts, screams and motion censored statues, so if you are not into horror movies, I would suggest don’t go.

Glyptotek museum: One of the finest museums of Denmark, the architecture of the building itself is beautiful. It has ancient mummies, Greek Gods, Egyptian art and French landscape paintings.

King’s Gardens: Gardens are located 5 minutes walk from where I live, lucky me. This place is the perfect place to be at on a sunny day, you would see the park full of people, little kids playing around, families having picnics, old and young couples walking around, and tourists taking pictures. It is one of my favorite places to go.

Rosenburg Castle: The castle is located right next to King’s Gardens and it has Queen’s Jewels, dresses and a lot of other things. It is quiet big, so give yourself enough time when you come here.

Royal Stable: Quiet obviously, the stable has horses in it but not only horses they are royal horses. My friend got a picture with one of the Queen’s horses.

Danish parliament: We managed to have an English tour of the Danish parliament, and got brief information on the Danish political system. I am planning on going to the parliament soon so that I can see it in session.

Unfortunately, my camera refused to take a lot of pictures, because the memory card was full but I would be putting more pictures on sometime soon. But now, it is time for me to go out and enjoy this beautiful day with my friend.

Farvel.

No comments: