Sunday, April 10, 2011

Great Ocean Road Part 2


Day 2 of our Great Ocean Road Adventure....


First we went to Gibson's Steps (above). They are stairs that were carved out of the cliff to reach the beach below. This was were I was stopped and asked if I went to Wofford (I was wearing my hoodie). The couple that asked me live in Charlotte and were visiting their daughter and her family in Australia. We got to talking and the daughter invited us to come and have dinner with them whenever we go to Sydney! How great it is to meet people and get contacts! GO WOFFORD!

Here I am at the Twelve Apostles. This is a really famous natural rock formation in the ocean. Now, don't bother start counting... they are not all there. Over the years quite a few have fallen down.
Here I am with the three other girls. The one in all black happens to be my roommate from Chicago. And look! What is left of the apostles can be seen behind us!
The Great Ocean Road goes along what they call Shipwreck Coast. It has been the site of many historical shipwrecks. I found it interesting to hear about some of the stories...
Above is the London Bridge! It was originally connected to the mainland by another arch, but in 1990 that fell down. So not all of the Bridge is there (Yes, London Bridge is Falling Down...). What is interesting is that there were tourists on the now island part (luckily not on the area that fell down) and were stranded there for a few hours before a helicopter came and got them.

Well, we stayed at a hostel in Port Campbell. I got to meet a lot of interesting people. I would really recommend people staying at hostels when they can (make sure they are safe though). We fixed pancakes in the morning and then headed back to Melbourne. It was a great experience and with fantastic views!

Off to work on my assessments (it is about that time when they finally decide to make us do work).

Cheers!
Allison

No comments: