Friday, April 22, 2011

Mamma and Daddy come to Freiburg!

18.04.2011-22.04.2011

My parents came to visit me in Freiburg, Germany! I absolutely loved spending time with them, receiving hugs and kisses, and eating extremely well. Our family knows how to travel right! This was mamma and daddy’s first visit to Germany. I was so happy that Freiburg boasted one of its earliest springs for their visit- the wisteria was in full bloom, the children dragged their boats in the street canals, and the Munster market was in full swing.

Happy to be with my Daddy!

Mom was in her element snapping pictures left and right and Dad was enjoying learning about the German wines.

Mamma was a shutterbug!


Daddy enjoying his spätburgunder rotwein.

I greeted mamma and daddy with hugs and kisses when they arrived at the Freiburg Haptbahnhof. We first walked around the Altstadte or “old city” part of Freiburg. Konvikstrasse (named for a convent) was lined with wisteria. It is a typical, small quaint street that does not allow chain stores.

The restaurants along the street are superb, especially Wolfshohle, where we ate that night. Wolfshohle is apparently one of two Freiburg Italian restaurants that does not serve pizza. My parents and I found it to be cosmopolitan cuisine. We wined and dined on carrot, beef, and onion aspic, shitake mushrooms with couscous in a pastry shell on foamed parmesan cheese, monkfish with orange filled ravioli, and passion fruit sorbet infused with raspberry mousse.

My dinner from Wolfshohle, monkfish with orange filled ravioli

Our first meal together was by far the best meal I have throughout my entire study abroad experience.

I showed my parents Burgerhaus Seepark, where I like to run and enjoy the outdoors. They enjoyed the people watching! So many people were sprawled out in the grass, enjoying a picnic, cooking on the barbecue, or playing musical instruments.

Another place I made sure to take mamma and daddy was the Schlossberg viewing tower. It was quite a hike up to the top! Thank goodness the view of Freiburg is worth the hike, although Daddy may think differently.


To be fair, Mamma was the only one who climbed the Schlossberg viewing tower

I could trace my walk to and from the IES center from Schlossberg

Mamma’s favorite part of Freiburg is the market at the Munster platz (she went back several times to take pictures and go shopping). The market is open Monday through Saturday, but is busiest on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

The market is designed to sell local produce to the left of the cathedral, flowers and herbs in front of the cathedral doors, and imported produce and trinkets to the right of the cathedral. We bought several gifts for family and friends, including ceramic vases, an olive wood wine holder, black forest honey, fig vinegar, lavender, and more.

An assortment of vinegars, including asparagus, fig, apple, and rose vinegars


It is spring when white asparagus or spargel is in season! Restaurants will dedicate an entire menu to spargel. We loved the spargelsuppe!

We were even able to buy the famous kasekuchen or cheesecake that Freiburgers wait in line for every time the baker is at the market.

The famous kasekuchen- worth the calories

Of course, we also ate bratwurst from a local stand!

Eating bratwurst in the Munster platz

On the school day when I had most of my classes, Mamma and Daddy took a day trip to Colmar, France. Spring had arrived in Colmar and the Spring Festival was in full swing. The pictures Mamma and Daddy took were incredible! I was happy they were able to visit and enjoy themselves in the Alsace Lorraine region of France.

It was very comforting to have part of home visiting my “home away from home.”

Happy to be together!

Freiburg, in all its beauty, helped us move at a slower pace where we could appreciate our surroundings, relax, and enjoy each other. I loved their visit!


No comments: