Sunday, May 3, 2009

My Spring Break







So, IES mid-terms are over and everyone is traveling... except me. Someone should warn the overachievers that when they sign up for the Advanced honors program, they will not have fun. I'm not allowed to travel, because I have a mid-term at UTDT on Thursday. So, I've decided to explore Buenos Aires/occasionally study... ALONE! Since ther's almost noone here. Where to start. I tried to go to a museum here in Belgrano, but it was aholiday, and it was closed. So, I stayed in my neighborhood laying around, vegging, for two days, while there were lots of protest going on downtown. Since it seemed to have cleared up over the weekend, I was able to go out and abotu on Saturday. And thank goodness. Me housemom was driving me batty. That's as much of an explanation as I can write without beginning to use explicitives. So, I left the apartment and went to Recoleta. I called a friend who lives in Recoleta, and we grabbed a bite to eat. Then, she talked me into facing my cemetery fears again. We ended up spending over 2 hours walking around exploring. I still have to say that I'm not a huge fan, but it's not as bad as it was the first time. The shock factor is over, I guess. Anyhow, after the cemetery, we walked around the pseo Recoleta Feria again. I got some really cute wooden painted arrings with pink flowers on them!! Then, we got icecream. After the icecream, we decided to go to a movie. The thing playing next happened to be Fast and Furious 3... so we went. It was horrible, but atleast we got a good laugh at how bad the acting was. Afterwards we went to a restaurant and had pizza. We decided to hang out at her apartment for the night, so we went to a grocery store and stocked up on wine, fruit, and of course delicious cookies! We watched movies and youtube until we were both exhausted. I called a cab and headed home. This morning (Sunday) I woke up and headed to San Telmo for the day. I walked around Plaza Dorrego, had lunch, and then bought some cool stuff along the way from Plaza Dorrego all through the Feria de Independencia on Defensa Street headed toward the Plaza de Mayo. I now have a cute pink ring and cute multicolored scarf that matched my outfit and the earrings that I bought yesterday! How perfect! I also found a gift for my mom!! After being on my feet for hours, I found the Plaza de Mayo... sort of on accident. And since I was already there, I decided to explore, of course. I went to the Museo de Cabildo (the old townhall and prison from the 1500's), I went to the Casa Rosada (the argentine version of the white house), and then I saw San martin's tomb inside the national Cathedral. I finally caught a bus and headed hoe, making it just beofre dark! What a day. I'm exhausted, but I must pull some energy from somewhere, because although it's my spring break, I do have a really tough mid term... well, I guess I'll go start that!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I've been checking up occasionally on the blog and have enjoyed reading about the abroad experience. I think its cool that you spent some time in Buenos Aires, I just sat in on a meeting with Robert Cox, who was the editor of the Buenos Aires Herald during "the disappearances". Hope you have had a great experience, but you missed a fun-filled semester back home with SI!

-Patrick