Friday, May 29, 2009

Bariloche Dangers!!!


Horseback riding is supposedly a great outdoor adventure. Well, this writer would like to confirm these assumptions.

I had always been too scared to go riding. There is just something about having a huge animal that you have very little control over underneath you. Well, I braved my fears and gave in to the pressure of going riding. For 100 pesos or about $37USD I got to enjoy horseback riding. But, of course, given my nature of needing everything to be more of a chanllenge than it really should be, I took an intermediate trail UP a mountain by myself on a horse. The view was breathtaking, and I did enjoy the horse. But… DISASTER STRIKES!!!

I was at a halt on my horse, minding my own business, when someone else’s horse lost control kicked my horse, as well as me, and I fell off the horse hanging by one foot for dear life. TERRIFYING!!!

My leg is black and blue. I cannot move left or right, and I definitely cannot tie my own shoes. I am living off of five hours of sleep, and I am rather irritable. But for some reason, this genius decides that trekking through the Andes to the top of Cerro Cathedral is the most brilliant way to spend my last day in Bariloche.
Chelsea and I catch the 40 minute bus up to the foothill of the mountain. I get off the bus with the best of intentions. We start the hike, all is well. We are flooded out most of the ‘path’ so we wade through freezing waters to keep on trekking. We then see that we must essentially go rock climbing to keep going. Chelsea continues. I make my way through the forest in and attempt to not have to experience the cold waters again. I made my way down, and back into town to try to salvage what little bit of muscle movement I had left!

No comments: