Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Earthquake in L'Aquila

I'm sure everyone in the States heard about the massive earthquake that occurred in central Italy about a month ago, that cause a lot of damage. I'm also sure that everyone there has also probably forgotten about it. It's weird being here and actually witnessing a national tragedy in a place you don't consider home. A lot of the Italians I know discussed making trips down there to help in the relief and some are still contemplating it, because L'Aquila is nowhere near being cleaned up yet. One of my American friends was telling me about how his host parents got into an argument because the wife wants to go down and help, but she has health issues and her husband was concerned for her. It's really affected everyone.
I read some articles from Italian journalists and from American journalists and noticed big differences in the description. In the Italian newspaper, the journalist described the tragedy in full detail with a lot of examples of human suffering. You really got a good idea of what people were feeling and thinking during the earthquake. In the American article, all I read about was what a tragedy it was to lose all the wonderful art that was in the area. The difference in the tone of the articles was a little disquieting..
I don't have any pictures for this post because I don't have any idea what kind of picture someone would want to see..the earthquake? no...

No comments: