Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mid-terms

I'm finally finished with my midterms. Everyone else is far far away traveling for sprink break, while I pulled an allnighter last night after a week long of studying, all for one class... PHILOSOPHY! I remember when I went to the Registrar's office at Wofford and had them sign off that it was ok for me to take philosophy abroad. The funny thing is that Lucy Quinn looked me straight in the eye and said "DON'T DO IT!" I did it anyway... I should have listened. But, it's too late, so too bad! Because of this decision, I am the only foreign exchange student in this "Problems of Philosophy" or "Problemas Filosoficas" class. Everyday, the students ask me why I did this to myself. They say, "This is hard even for us, and we SPEAK spanish." I agree. It's ridiculously hard. But, I have a tutor, and I go get his help ALL the time. My philosophy midterm covered Plato's Republic (the alegories of the line, the sun, and the cave), Laques, Teeton, The Apology of Socrates, Fedon, and probably something else that I'm forgetting (btw, excuse the spelling... I only know the names in Spanish sometimes, because it's not like I've ever learned this stuff in english either!!) It also included Aristoteles' Metaphysics, and then Saint Augustine and Saint Thomas. I thought I might die. Last night, in a last attempt to learn this stuff, I pulled ALMOST an allnighter. In order to stay awake... I had amo... a pot of mate, freshly made! I read, and read, and thought, and thought, and translated, and then thought and read some more. This stuff is difficult no matter the language! Have you ever tried to read Saint Augustine in english??? How about Spanish? Yea, DON'T! Anyhow, I slept for a couple of hours, and then at 4am I got back up again to continue studying! I walked to class for my 8am exam. I didn't know that in order to take the exam you needed to hand over your passport, so luckily for me they accepted my driver's license. I started writing, and writing... I was impressed with the fact that I had studied everything that was on the test. It's not that I KNEW everything on the test, but I remember studying everything, which for me, to even know what the questions were asking, was a mini victory. I had brought along my dictionary, but I basically didn't even need it (the kids in my class were making fun of me, and they said I probably had all the answers written in the dictionary... this of course was not the case). Anyhow, after 5 pages front and back, I think I ran out of things to say. And although my grade will probably be terrible, I know that I gave it a good effort. I do worry about how taking this class will impact my GPA at Wofford, but I guess it's not all that important. If I don't get into grad school, I guess it's for a reason. I wouldn't want to go somewhere that wouldn't allow me to do weird things and take risks anyhow! I'm prooud of myself. After the test I was talking with the other Argentines in my class, and one of them didn't even know all four of Aristoteles' causes: efficient, final, formal, and material. See, I know them! Whatever happens... happens. It's done. "Ya esta, basta. Ahora a divertirme!" Ciao.

No comments: