Thursday, March 31, 2011

Camping Trip

I went on the Melbourne University Mountaineering Club's Intro Trip this past weekend. It was the first time that I really remember camping, so it was an interesting experience. Well, we got there Friday night and set up camp. Some of the leaders got an awesome fire going (that never went out the whole weekend!).

Saturday was a full day. I decided to do the all day Bushwalking and opt out of the Kayaking (it was really cold...). We walked probably 13 Km (I think it was more, but no one asked me), which is more than 6 miles. Now, I don't have a problem walking through God's beautiful nature. However, what we did they called is scrabbling (I call it bouldering)... We literally walked along the top of the mountains. We did the Ridge Pass along Cathedral Ridge Mountains. The next day I was so sore from climbing up and down rocks, and falling down painfully a few times! It was intense. And yes, I do have some bruises to show for it.

Saturday night we got a constellation lesson from the president of the club. Orion can be seen from the Southern Hemisphere; it is just that he is upside down! I can now point out the Southern Cross (the stars that are on the Australian flag) and tell you how to find south. Let's just say, be grateful that we have the Northern Star, it makes things a lot easier!! Later, my tentmate and I had to deal with our other tentmate being drunk. And yes, we threw up partially on my sleeping bag. And no, it was not pleasant...

Sunday we got up and I got to see the sunrise. Very beautiful. I unfortunately discovered that fire from the fire can burn small holes in your clothes. I now have a hold in my pants and my Wofford hoodie... Anyway, we got to go Rock Climbing later that morning. It was exciting to actually climb up real rocks!! I did two different courses and I was good for the day. It was great being able to watch and cheer other people climb while talking to others on the ground.

Let's just say, that it was a very interesting weekend and I am glad that I went!

Cheers!
Allison

No comments: