Monday, March 23, 2009

Zoo, Green Beer, and Protests... an Argentinian Concept


Jardin Zooilogical



First may I just say, Chelsea I love you. I live across from the cemetary. In fact I wake up to those creepy little bodies every morning! Guess I may be the weird one at heart, but it puts a smile on my face knowing that I am so near to Eva's final resting place... hmm... Oh well!





Due to Chelsea's visit to the Palermo Zoo, I had to go and check it out for myself. I was quite surprised by the lack of security in the zoo. In fact, I became quite paranoid at times when parents would let their children roam and one kid ended up IN THE FENCE with the 'cebras.' Yeah, guess thats the big sister in me screaming please don't let the poor dear get hurt. But apart from that, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of animals slammed right down in the middle of Buenos Aires. Though, I felt bad for the poor polar bear who had more hair than me, and I know I was sweating!!!





That night, after the Zoo, my friend Jill and I went to grab a bite to eat at some Irish Pub. Come to find out this pub brews their own beer. Well that was a nice change from the normal Quilmes or Brahma, except for one thing, the alcohol content is wayyyyy higher. Lucky for me, I don't drink much beer because the taste is not that settling. But in Buenos Aires, it is cheaper to buy beer than water. And it being St. Patty's Day a few days before, the Argentinians were still celebrating, which meant free green beer for everyone! Can you pass up free? I attempted to eat Mexican food here..... it was not that great. Argentina has great beef, but the food is rather bland. And get ready for an overcooked steak. I swear some people in the Midwest would find this place an insult to good beef. But hey, when in a different culture, assimilate!





Though, I better enjoy the beef while I can because the political uproar here is getting worse and worse everyday. Basically what has happened is that the country switched its main export to soy because of the international rise of soy prices. Once the country did so and started making a profit off of this influx, the government decided it needed a cut. This cut was 50% of the total revenue from Soy export. This means that farmers are not too happy. This tax is on small farmers who do not rent their land as well as larger farmers who do. Thus, making the country an even poorer middle income country. Well, the farmers are so unhappy with the situation they have been placing protests all around the city. They block off streets with their trucks. I was walking to Ave. Corientes last week, and I had to walk another six blocks to bypass the demonstration and get to the bus stop. It was insane! But this is everyday life of Argentina. Apart from these demonstrations, the farmers are threatening not to sell or transport anymore meat around the country until a solution has been decided. In fact, there is so much uproar that the country has changed their elections from October to June! I can't wait to see what will happen!!!!

No comments: