Wednesday, March 25, 2009

POLO!

So, I went to a Polo qualifier at the Palermo Polo fields. When we first arrived, I didn´t actually think we´d even be able to see a game, because there was absolutely no one there, and in addition, we could not find an entrance. After walking a country mile around the fields up and down the streets of Palermo, we spotted a ton of horse trailers, and an open gate. We walked right in, and people were picknicking about 3 feet from where the horses were stampeding up and down the field hitting a little ball that could make you brain dead if it hit you. There were children playing right where the horses could trample them. I was petrified not only for my sake, but also for everyone elses. I´m such a chicken evidently. Anyhow, we saw the stands begin to fill up on the other side of the field, so we made our way around and took our seats. The game was SO fast paced. Those horses scared me to death as they slammed into each other and raced at full speed at and around each other. I don´t think I would make a very good Polo player. However, we watched a game, then went and got sandwiches and ice cream, adn then came back to watch a second game. It had moved to a different field, and when we found it, I spotted my house mom and her daughter, so we joined them. It´s a really exciting game, but perhaps the most fun is afterwards. Everyone in the stands goes outside, and there´s free champagne, appetizers, cheese, and meat for everyone! It was a blast... until the mosquitos came out... story of my life. I won´t go into detail. Anyhow, I´d love to go back and I´m even thinking of spending a weekend soon out at a Polo ranch and taking lessons! How fun would that be.............

No comments: