Sunday, March 22, 2009

Piazza Ariostea



My new obsession, with the coming of springtime, has become Piazza Ariostea. This park is a green patch middle of Ferrara, which is mostly cobblestone and brick. Since the weather has suddenly gone from dull and dreary rain/sludge to bright sunshine and no clouds Piazza Ariostea calls at me from inside my classrooms. Right after class, everyday, me and couple Americans race to order Caprese panini and plop down in the grass with the rest of the young Italians and bask in the sun. Some days we're there until sundown "doing homework" and buying gelato across the street. We've really become regulars there and kind of have our own "turf" so-to-speak. We create names and stories for the people who pass by and occasionally make new friends.
At the end of May, Piazza Ariostea transforms into a race course for the annual Palio that is held here. I wish I was going to be there for it!!!
The pictures are of the statue of Ariostea ( some historical figure) and the patch of grass we call "ours."

No comments: