Saturday, January 29, 2011

Vienna: Week 2

Okay, so first of all I am about to explode because I am so full right now. Today I went to the nachtmart with 2 of my roommates and got a dürüm kebab. Kebabs are the main type of "street food" in Vienna, ther are kebab stands everywhere...even though they are Turkish its a popular and common food to eat here. My kebab was so good, but I am way too full.
I have had a pretty busy week, and seen many of the sights for the first time. Yesterday I went to a kaffeehaus with my German class and had coffee and plum cake, or Zwetschgenkuchen. It is my favorite pastry/cake I have had in Europe, and definitely in my top ten desserts list right behind Krispy Kreme donuts and The Baltimore Bomb at Dangerously Delicious Pies. Apart from learning the standard hello, goodbye, and thank you - kuchen (cake) and kaffee (coffee) were a couple of the first German words I learned...I felt they were neccessities for obvious reasons.
One of my friends who is from Berlin, but a student at Universitat Wien, showed me around yesterday after I got out of class. We went to literally every major tourist sight in the city and I had a blast. We went to the Museum Quarter, the Hofburg Stefansplatz, Prater, and many more places. I pass most of these places on the way to school but I did not realize how much more there was to it all. Prater is basically a big fair, kind of like Conney Island, but it was mostly closed right now. There is a huge ferris-wheel there that tourist love, because you can see so much of Vienna from the top.
Everywhere I went Friday I kept seeing tons of Police, a much larger presence than normal, and a lot of them were wearing extra protective gear and carrying clear sheilds. When my German friend and I got to Stefanplatz we figured out why. All through out Vienna, and many other parts of Europe, people were protesting the situation in Egypt. When we came uo to the Cathedral, we heard chanting and quickly saw a group of protestors. This is about the time that I took the picture on the left of a homelessman. Literally 60 feet behind him were the protestors. It was sort of sad to me that all these people were outraged about the situation in Egypt yet no one noticed one of their own people in need of help right behind them. I have realized I like taking pictures of people (even if I feel a bit creepy doing it). I feel like they are what really tell the story of a place rather than any national monument. Buildings are beautiful, but people matter.
Anyways, after our day of sightseeing my friend and I went to the nachtmart at night and to a nice little kaffeehaus, where we had coffee together before calling it a night. It was cold yesterday and it is extra cold today. I still have a cough and runny nose, undoubtedly thanks to the weather but I absolutely love this city. Vienna is perfect and I could not be happier.

No comments: