Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Copenhagen, Denmark

Hello everybody,

Wow…. you get to Copenhagen and that is the first thing you say to yourself. Copenhagen really is a combination of old and modern art. It is attractive, beautiful and glamorous city. This is my fourth day in Denmark and I have loved every minute of it. The last four days have been the best days for me and I am sure there are more to follow.

Just to give an update on things, I am going to tell you about my journey to Denmark. I flew to New York from North Carolina and had a connecting flight from there to Copenhagen. There were a lot of DIS students coming to Copenhagen, from New York; we all covered more than half of the plane. It was so nice to meet them all, everybody was super friendly and excited about the trip. (It was a relief to know that everybody was on the same page). We arrived in Copenhagen at 7:30 am and were received by the DIS staff at Copenhagen airport. We got into our buses and were dropped at our housing where the housing staff warmly welcomed us.

Our dorm staff had all kinds of fruits for us, (apparently that’s Danish snack food here). After a while, we went to our rooms to get a little rest and meet again at night for a dinner party where we had pizza.

We went on exploring the city next day where each person was given 50 Kroners (Danish currency) to have lunch during out Scavenger hunt. I was planning a full three-course meal since I thought 50DKK was a huge amount of sum. It was not until I got into the restaurant, that I realized that prices were sky high for food. I ordered a Spanish salad; believe it or not it was $49.5 DKK. It was so shocking but then I did my calculations and realized that it was only $10 for the salad, which was a appropriate price for a good salad.

I am living in the DIS residential halls where I share bathroom and kitchen with other students. There are almost 15 of us living at one floor. I have my own room, which is very neat and cozy. I can see big and old-fashioned European style buildings from here.

There are three things that you must know about Copenhagen; first and foremost almost everybody here speaks English so you don’t have to worry if you can’t speak Danish. (I have not met a person who does not know English but the sad part is they almost write everything in Danish, it is rare to see any English translation). Secondly, they love to ride bicycles and they walk everywhere. (No wonder they have the perfect figures). Third, you got to love the bread if you come here. (Down here they have all kinds of bread and its included in every meal).

To be honest, I have not missed anything back home yet; Copenhagen has so much to offer to you that you just forget the rest of the world. I came to this small city to explore Europe and without any doubt that is exactly what I am doing. This is 12:30 am in Denmark, which means it would be around 6:30 pm in US. There are so many activities arranged for us tomorrow. We start classes this Thursday and we are going to two castles this weekend. I am really sleepy right now, even though half of my dorm fellows are in a Danish club somewhere in the city, I decided to have the night off. I would be in touch soon with a lot of cool photographs. Bye

No comments: