Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Meeting my Danish host family

Right now, I am having a cup of “green tea”, I can count on my hands and tell you that it is the third time in my life taking green tea. I have decided to do things a little bit differently now that I am in Europe. I have changed my habits of drinking coffee; from now on I would be taking tea and I have replaced peanut butter with “nutella”. (Which I must say is quiet delicious). So, when I went out for my grocery shopping first time with a few friends, we all started looking for Peanut butter. Unfortunately, on our first shopping trip we were disappointed because we could not find any. But yesterday, my friend finally went on hunting for Peanut butter and found one in a super market. It feels really good to have Peanut butter with you while you are here, away from home.

So, this last weekend, I went to see my visiting family. I have a host mom, host dad and a sixteen-year-old host sister. My host dad came to pick me up from the train station, as we had planned earlier. It was a nice ride from station to home, we chatted in our way there. My host mom had prepared me a delicious dinner, which we ate, literally after 5 minutes we got home. Apparently, these people have their dinner really early (around 6 or 6:30 pm). I don’t blame them for that because it gets dark here after 4:30pm. We only have daylight from 9am-4pm. We spent our time chatting on a nice meal. One thing that I learned is that a traditional Danish meal is started off with Entrée and they eat salads/appetizers at the end. After our lovely meal, which included tasty fish, we had home baked cookies with tea. I felt right at home with my host mom and dad, saying good-bye for the day was hard. I did not forget to take a picture of my host family before I departed. It was a fine evening, which came to an end.

It was snowing here last night, these people keep walking on streets whether its snowing or raining, looks like these little things don’t disturb them. I have always loved cold weather (or at least I thought I did) but after having my first ten dark cold days in Copenhagen, I would be glad to see a sunny day.

No comments: