Sunday, January 30, 2011

Christianhavn, Denmark

Hello Friends,

I changed my current city from Spartanburg to Copenhagen today on facebook, it hit me hard then, would I really be spending my next four months in a typical European city? The answer is YES and I am sure my semester is going to be adventurous, and full of joys. The fact is that I am getting used to it, I am getting used to seeing everybody on the bike, I am getting used to see (Danish) words, which I can’t translate and I am getting used to shopping in much smaller stores. It is different here, in fact it is very different here than the US but I like the change.

We had a bright nice sunny day today, which does not happen very often in Denmark. Next to my dorm is a lake, which is frozen now a days, today people came out to enjoy the sun and they were walking on the lake. (I thought that was so cool and I tried to take some pictures from my kitchen window because I was lazy to go down at the lake).

Many of my friends have started going to see their friends all over the Europe (usually Prague and Sweden) on the weekends. My friend’s brother came to see her from Germnay. It was his first time in Copenhagen (like all of us) so we decided to go out. We went to Christiania, which is a small “hippie town” in Copenhagen. If you ever go to Copenhagen, your tour does not complete without seeing this place. Christiania is different than rest of the Copenhagen city. There is a special entrance to the place, it is cool to walk around, explore the streets and see small houses with horses and dogs. These people have their own lifestyle; they tend not to get really involved with outside people. We saw some shops in the streets with food, clothes and other necessities. People were very artistic in Christiania. We saw a lot of art around the streets but cameras were not allowed there so I could not take any pictures.

My classes are picking up the speed, we have started working on papers and presentations already but we still have weekends to enjoy and explore. DIS schedules several short tours on the weekends, which go all over Denmark. They are really cheap and a lot of students take advantage of them.

We are going on our short study tour on Thursday; it is a three-day tour of Western Denmark. I am very much looking forward to it.

Its time for me to get back to my studies, I have my first paper due this Tuesday but I have not started working on it yet (typical me). Hopefully, I would get it done on time.

Hej Hej (bye).

No comments: