Sunday, January 23, 2011

Exploring Copenhagen

Hej (Hello)

It’s been a week since I came to Denmark but I have not learned a bit Danish yet, I am very much determined to learn it in next coming days though. (I must say, Danish is a little hard; they don’t pronounce the way they write it).

This weekend, things were getting back to normal for me so I had time to wander around the city and shop a little. I went to explore the city with a friend. We went to the Royal Palace, Royal theatre, Opera house, and other cool places. The crown Prince Fredrick of Denmark had twins a few days ago, so we have been told that there would be a big baptism ceremony very soon. Apparently, it is a big thing around here.

I have started my classes already. They have been fantastic so far; we are doing more practical things than theoretical stuff (just like I want it to be). Every class has field trips or study tours every now and then. I am taking a leadership across cultures class, which focuses on how to lead a company well. This Wednesday, we are going to top companies and interviewing the employees or CEO’s. Our assignment is to write about the CEO’s abilities to manage that particular firm. I think, it would be a lot of fun.

We had an “immerse yourself” fair in our student center from DIS. There were so many clubs/organizations that we could join so that we would interact more with Danes. I signed up to tutor a 7th grade student as a volunteer at Copenhagen International School. I went to the school on Friday for an interview. Hopefully, I would start volunteering this coming week.

Since I am not living with a host family in Copenhagen, I chose to have a visiting family. The purpose of the visiting family is to give us an opportunity to observe the Danish lifestyle. I am invited on a dinner by my host mom and dad tomorrow; I am very excited about it. They seem very nice and friendly people so I am looking forward to it.

A little fact about Danes: Danish people are considered very stoned face. They would not smile at you while you are passing the streets or anything like that. I have heard that it’s hard to make them friends but when you do, you have those friends for lifetime.

Now, its time for me to get back to my studies, I have some reading to do for my classes but I will keep in touch.

Farvel.

No comments: