Monday, February 8, 2010

Tyler Swain Madagascar Day 8

Madagascar Day 8


Well, I officially arrived a week ago today. It's insanity how fast (and slow at the same time) this week's gone by.


I took my first "bucket shower" this morning. Fortunately, my famille d'accueille heated some water for me this morning, and my host mom says she'll do that for me every morning--phew. Taking the shower was somewhat of journey going from complete confusion to utter joy for the victory of accomplishing what I would have thought to be impossible just 10 minutes prior. In the shower there's no light, not really a lock, you can hear familly members talking and going about their morning routine all around you, and there I am exposed and vulnerable to anyone that might forget I exist and open the door. Luckily no such thing happened, and like I said the joy I had after doing it was probably a better high than any worldly pleasure.


Class and lunch at the SIT Office (across town from the classroom) was really good. I got to see more of the city and get acquainted with it. I finished today by talking about the nature of world peace, la paix mondiale, with my oldest host brother. How freakin' awesome is that? Apparently him and 3 of his friends are organizing a citywide festival aimed at reestablishing fihavanana among the people. It's a Malagasy word with no direct translation in French or English. It means something along the lines of familial and brotherly love but with action associated with it. You don't just love someone, you do things for and with that person solely for fihavanana. So I'll leave you with thinking about that...

No comments: