Monday, February 15, 2010

Ok.. So this is my first and official blog ever. Pretty neat I must say.

As it appears, I am a slack student....ALTHOUGH that is not truly the case. I just moved into my residential college (glorified freshman dorm) known as Chisolm College this afternoon. So this is one of many more to come. Where do I even begin?

Well I will start with my flight schedule. The first flight over was great. It was 5 hours and I simply read wonderful Nicholas Sparks the entire time. I barely noticed the time because of my roller coaster of emotion with each page ha (everyone knows Nicholas Sparks). The second plane was the WHAMMY and one that is feared by all. With the thought of a 14 hour plane ride beside a stranger and with no leg room, it goes unsaid that I was nervous. As it turns out though, I got a window seat and also got to sit beside Jill. I even slept 12 hours straight! I woke up and there was only 2 hours left. OH HOW WE REJOICED! We met a sweet Asian lady that is actually a teacher named Lu that was from Illinois that entertained us the remaining two hours. Before I knew it I was in AUSTRALIA, the Land Down Under, the Outback, the Bush.... I was so excited and couldn't wait to get off the plane to explore. Turns out we had to run and I mean literally run (If you wish to imagine, we looked rather comical sprinting through and airport with rolley suitcases and way too many carry ons). We barely made it to our last plane that was to take us to Melbourne. This flight was only 1.5 hours and by this point I could have flown to Jamaica and been a happy camper.

Upon arrival into the beautiful Melbourne, I was speechless! The weather was absolutely beautiful and even the airport was great. We were warmly greeted by our orientation people and we hopped in a shuttle bus off to our hotel.

Now I knew that we were staying in a hotel downtown Melbourne and had already snooped at some pictures of it online and was a little disappointed but 'oh boy' was I in for a shock... I entered my room and almost walked right into the opposite wall. This room might be the smallest I have ever seen. It consisted of 2 beds, a sink, and 4 walls (thats literally it). But I was just happy to be on the ground and have a place to lay my head so I quickly got over its nomadic qualities. We put down our things (me and Jilly) and started exploring the city. We went to a nice outdoor cafe for dinner and walked about for an hour. It was absolutely beautiful and the people were so genuinely nice!! After our brief adventure, we decided to return to our lovely abode to take a nap. Our plans consisted of a nap and then a night excursion. Our minds had one thing in store and our ragged bodies another. We fell asleep at 530 and woke up at 630... the following day.

No comments: