Sunday, May 8, 2011

Final weeks in Freiburg, Germany- my home away from home!


02.05.2011-08.05.2011

In less than two weeks, my European Union study abroad program in Freiburg, Germany will come to a close. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to study abroad- I’ve enjoyed my time here in Europe so much!

The Herz-Jesu Church and Blue Wiwili Bridge I walk across everyday to attend class

Since my time here in Freiburg is limited, I created a “bucket list” of things I must do before I leave. My list included a day trip to Titisee, another gelato from Portofino’s, making dinner for my friends, eating kuchen from Jennifer’s chocolaterie, shopping at the Munster Markt, dining again at Markt Halle international café, and more. I’ve accomplished so much on my list already!

This week we had our final classes and began exam preparation. My favorite ending, of all my classes, was my German class. We met in the Frierling beirgarten, of all places! We enjoyed each other’s company, “discussed” our exam questions, and sipped on the different house beers. I tried the Radler, a combination of lemonade and beer, which was very refreshing! Our German class was definitely educational in more ways than one!

A trip to Markt Halle international café was an easy (and inexpensive) way for me to visit Italy. I had wonderful basil pesto pasta! I later met up with a friend and checked another item off my list—gelato from Portofino’s. Portofino’s is my favorite eis café that serves more than 15 varieties of ice cream- hazelnut, dark chocolate, strawberry yogurt, eight o’ clock, mocha, coconut, and more. My favorite is hazelnut, but I have ventured to try other flavors!

On Saturday, after I completed two exams, I treated myself to more sweets. Have you noticed that I have a sweet tooth? I’ve been eyeing the chocolaterie Jennifer’s since my first days in Freiburg, Germany. A friend and I ordered our kuchen “to go” and went to Augustinerplatz to enjoy our dessert and people watch.

Over cake (I had a a delicious chocolate mousse and wild berry cake), we discussed our time in Germany and love for the country. The two of us agreed that we both prefer the European life-style, especially the German life-style that is more balanced between work and life and centers around family.

The number of people in Germany, who appreciate the outdoors, taking the opportunity to ride their bikes to work, the market, and the grocery store, amazed us. We also love watching the children tag along with their parents. It seems that everywhere you go is a family affair!

Later that evening, we attended the St. Georgen weintage, a wine festival in a suburb of Freiburg, Germany. We were in for a treat!

Vineyards of St. Georgen

St. Georgen weintage offered many local Freiburger wines (red, rose, and white), crepes, grilled steaks and ribs, bratwurst, beer, and more.

Food stands scattered the narrow streets of St. Gerogen and bands played in different sections. First, I had the Freiburger Spatbrugunder rotwein, paired with a juicy steak. It was the BEST steak I have had and well worth the 4-month wait. The festival was very popular! So many people turned out for the event, which got more crowded as the night went on.

I loved “prosting” to each wine we tried and dancing to the American songs, like Sweet Home Alabama. It was fun to hear Sweet Home Alabama sung in a thick German accent!

All of us who went had a phenomenal time. I kept my small wine glass as a souvenir from the event!

Sunday afternoon, we spent a relaxing time in the sun at Burgerhaus Seepark. So many people had the same idea we did!

We threw a blanket on the ground and soaked up the sun. Some people around us were laying out in their bathing suits and others were barbecuing. A walk around the lake with my friends was pretty entertaining. I’ve been to the park many a time, but never knew there was a nude section. My steps quickened as we walked by!

That night I made dinner for a group of six- pork marinated with soy sauce, garlic, and ginger, green beans, brown rice with beef consume, and vanilla ice-cream with fresh peaches and amaretto. Yum, yum! It was great fun too!

Tomorrow I am going to Titisee (and working in exam review)!

No comments: