Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Weekend in Italy



Last Friday, I went home with my friend Abby and spent the night in Darsena City, which is housing for international students. We decided to cook with some other students in our program and have our own Italian "apertivo" and dinner. The girls were in charge of bringing appetizers and dessert so we bought some tiramisu flavored "gelato" and decided to make our own bruschette. Guess who made it?I diced "pommodores" and basil leaves all by myself...very impressive for a novice chef.
After a wonderful dinner of pasta, bread, and wine we decided to explore the city a bit and I think we may have found a fascist monument. No one will tell us about it, but the architecture is definitely in the fascist theme...tall with a benevolent looking man watching over some children. The date on it says 1932, so thats my best guess. The only picture I have if it is in the dark, so maybe I'll add one later after I go back during the day.
The next day, we traveled to Bologna. That is a beautiful city! We enjoyed a three hour tour in the rain, sleet, and snow, but it was worth it. Once the snow started, we completely forgot about the freezing cold and just had fun exploring the city. We climbed a tower that is twice as tall as the leaning tower of Pisa, but still leaning. I slipped down a flight of stairs for the amusement of all the Italians waiting at the bottom. Very fun! The group returned to Ferrara that evening and I raced to have dinner with a combination of Americans and my hosts family's teenage daughter and all her friends too. It was fun learning all the Italian slang from them and playing Wii bowling.
The pictures are of the statue of Neptune in the Piazza di Netunno in Bologna and of me and Abby enjoying the snow in Bologna.

No comments: