Sunday, January 11, 2009

First Days in London

I arrived in London via a direct flight from Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson to London Gatwick on Wednesday, January 7th.  My first few days have been jam-packed with orientation meetings, academic advising sessions, bus tours, and general settling-into-a-new-place activities.  
Yesterday, we decided to get some cheesy touristy photo-ops out of our systems: this picture  is a result of these efforts.  I am on the far left, trying to stay warm.  We actually saw some snow flurries and the weather was absolutely freezing, which is a change from my Holiday Break spent in Atlanta.  

I will be studying abroad in London until mid-April at the IES Center in Bloomsbury.  Our student residence hall (the LRH) is located in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea- or just Chelsea.  We live around the corner from Hugh Grant and Kate Middleton, but more importantly, in a neighborhood brimming with art and culture.  I look forward to exploring it in its entirety and reporting back!

This blog will eventually move away from the basics of my first weeks in London, towards a documentation of the art I encounter.  I want to seek out Banksy and other famous street artists and experience the local galleries.  As an Art History major, I am also itching to spend time at the Victoria and Albert Museum, the National Gallery (home to several of my favorite paintings by Van Gogh and Rembrandt), and the Tate Modern.  

That's all for now- I'm off to eat some soup and head to bed early, since classes begin tomorrow!

-Katherine

No comments: